Friday, April 27, 2012

Wilson's Insanity

In the last chapter, I had believed that Gatsby was loosing his mind. However in this chapter I think Wilson is the one who lost his mind. After the death of his wife, Wilson sort of goes into a quiet angry rampage.  He continually states, that he can find the person who owned the car, and he does but it doesn't exactly go as he planned. But before he actually does find Gatsby, he sits in his garage with his friend having flashbacks of Myrtle. In fact in one scene he says "I told her she might fool me but she couldn't fool God. I took to the window.......and I said 'God knows what you've been doing, everything you've been doing.'"( Fitzgerald 159) During this rant he stood at the window and looked at the eyes of Doctor Eckleburg. Here the Doctor can be symbolizing God, as he looks over the town. Symbolizing that God, knows all and sees all. This insanity however came to a tragic end, with both Mr. Wilson, and Gatsby dead. At the end, Nick and some of Gatsby's servants see Wilson's body in the pool. At this point it is not 100% clear of how exactly he died, but I would guess suicide.I don't completely understand how Gatsby's dead. Maybe Wilson killed him thinking, that he was the one having the affair with Myrtle. I'm hoping everything will be cleared up in the next chapter.

1 comment:

  1. I agree I understand Wilsons going crazy, but I think he went way to far. His wife died and who he thinks has killed her he goes off and kills. I cant imagine his pain but it doesnt justify him killing Gatsby... Then killling himself right after.. Wilson is insane, but because of what he is going threw he probaly thinks its the only way to get justice..

    ReplyDelete