Sunday, April 29, 2012

Love, Marriage, and final thoughts

After reading this chapter there were a lot of things that annoyed me. First, this chapter was very depressing, especially Gatsby's funeral" About five o'clock our procession of three cars reached the cemetery and stopped in a thick drizzle..."( Fitzgerald 174) Gatsby having thrown all these parties, and all these business connections, a person would think he would have some friends or just ANYONE who loved him. But sadly this was not the case. The only people who actually cared for him and showed up at his funeral, were Nick and his father. Not even Daisy showed up! But then again I'm not entirely sure if Daisy ever found out that he had died. Nick had tried to contact them, but the butler had said that both she and tom left with luggage. This was another thing that bothered me. If Daisy Truly loved Gatsby like she had said, then she would have left Tom. She would have  gone to his funeral, or better yet she could have saved his life.However, she chose to stay with Tom. She chose to continue her superficial life, and fake love, instead of the loyal and true love of Gatsby. The only people who TRULY cared were Nick and his father.Now Gatsby's father, I think, was not entirely in reality. I think he was in a sort of denial stage. At one point he kept talking about a picture of the house his son had sent him. It seemed that the picture was the reality and reality was the dream. I don't think he could truly believed that his son was dead. It was easier for him to just stare at the picture.  Now, after reading this entire book, I have to say that I actually really enjoyed it. I loved the drama, the mystery behind Gatsby himself, even the little strange and non-important characters like Wilson and Owl-Eyes. I just really enjoyed everything about this book. I would honestly recommend this book to anyone and everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this! Its pretty sad how everyone could show up to Gatsbys for a good time, and a party but not show up for his funerul. Not even Daisy and I agree if she truely loved him like she said she did she would have left Tom, instead she just ignored the fact that Gatsbys dead. I believe its partially, actually it is all her fault for his death because if it werent for him lying saying he hit Myrtle he would be alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that the funeral was depressing, but I would not say that it necessarily annoyed me. Yes, I did feel bad for Gatsby because very few guests showed up, but he had it coming in a way. Gatsby set himself up because the only person he had on his mind was Daisy. It is sad that the one of the only people he truly cared about was not at his funeral, but it goes to show that you should not hold on to somebody for too long because they change. The only reason Gatsby became friends with Nick was because he truly got to know Nick. I honestly do not think Gatsby intended to become friends with Nick and that Gatsby only wanted to use him in getting Daisy. I think Gatsby thought of friends as obstacles in getting to Daisy; therefore, I do not think he would have minded not having many guests at his funeral.

    ReplyDelete