Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tom and Gatsby Showdown/ Death

Everything happens in chapter 7. Things that I NEVER saw coming, and things that would have come out eventually. Never in a million years would I have thought Myrtle, would be murdered (accidentally), especially not by Daisy. That one event came at a complete shock, but I think it will incur major conflicts in future chapters. Especially since Gatsby told nick he would tell the Police that he was driving.  Through this tragedy, Tom finally had an epiphany! He came to realize Daisy was having an affair with Gatsby. Though I wanted the men to throw punches in the showdown sadly that didn't happen. However, the showdown wasn't any less exciting. I think at this point in the book, Gatsby has lost his mind. At one point he said:" 'She  never loved you, do you hear?' he cried. ' She only married you because I was poor and she was tired of waiting for me. It was a terrible mistake, but in her heart she never loved any one except me!'"( Fitzgerald 130). I think that this will be the turning point for Gatsby and Daisy's relationship. By saying this he basically declared unconditional love for Daisy, which was already known, but saying it aloud to others is a completely different  thing.  But I do not think that Daisy loves him as much as he loves her. Plus Daisy's accidental hit & run, will probably cause some issues between not only her and Gatsby but her and Tom as well. After all, Myrtle was Tom's mistress, and though he doesn't know who killed her,  I doubt he will forgive her if he ever finds out. Honestly, I don't think Tom will ever TRULY find out who killed her. I believe that Gatsby will be blamed, and no one will learn the truth at the end of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment